We all know how clean, white teeth can leave a good impression! Our teeth play an important part in our appearance. But a great smile is not the result of a great dentist, but attention with dietary choices and overall dental cleanliness. It's not possible to snap your fingers and have white teeth, but these tips will give you a few clues as to how to keep your teeth in their best possible condition.
KEEPING IT CLEAN
It doesn't take much to keep your teeth clean and healthy, but it does take more than a quick swish of a brush. As we all should know it’s recommended to brush your teeth twice a day, making sure you use a soft-bristled brush and a toothpaste containing fluoride. Recommended brushed available at pharmacies include:
- Philips Healthy White Sonic Power toothbrush - It has a “clean and white” mode that you use every month or so, to lift stains and really polish teeth up beautifully. There’s also just a “Clean” mode, which you can use every day.
- Philips Diamond Clean Sonic Toothbrush- Improves gum health in only two weeks and whitens teeth 2X better than a manual toothbrush. It can also remove up to 5X more plaque than a manual toothbrush
- Oral B Trizone 3000 Electric Toothbrush - Features triple action deep cleaning technology to remove up to 100% more plaque, even between teeth.
But brushing your teeth only gets rid of the food and plaque on your teeth, not between your teeth. Cleaning between the teeth once a day with floss or interdental cleaners (a small brush used for cleaning between teeth) and getting regular check-ups every 6-12 months with a dentist are all part of the winning formula to brighten up your smile! Some great products to help keep it clean are:
If your teeth are dark or stained there are a range of whitening options available, some of which can be done at home and some which only a dentist can do for you. Some whitening gels and kits available at pharmacies include.
- Rapid White Blue Light Tooth Whitening System- This kit actually uses light activated gel technology. The formula acts in two steps to lift teeth a few shades lighter. You just apply the formula and shine the light onto teeth for four minutes, twice a day.
- Colgate Optic White Toothpaste - Contains a revolutionary whitening formula with hydrogen peroxide, the ingredient used in professional whitening treatments, to remove stains below the surface of teeth, for 3 shades whiter teeth in 4 weeks!
But remember whitening treatments should not be used as a quick fix. They should be combined with proper dental care to ensure the long-term health and appearance of your smile.
WATCH YOUR DIET
To help maintain the health of your teeth, avoid sugary food and drinks wherever possible. Also limit food and drinks such as tea, coffee, red wine and curry, as they are prone to staining your teeth. Drink lots of water and always rinse your mouth out with water after eating.
Look after your gums
Gum health is integral to the overall health of your teeth. Daily flossing helps remove plaque, prevents decay and helps keep gums healthy.Check out the Philips sonicare Airfloss for a fancier more advanced way to floss!